Wanaka – Guided Walks – Diamond Lake
- Diamond Lake Circuit Track: 45 min return, 2.5 km
- Diamond Lake Lookout: 1 hr return, 2 km
- Lake Wānaka Lookout: 2 hr return, 5 km
- Rocky Mountain Summit Track: 3 hr return, 7 km
The track starts from the car park and follows an old road to Diamond Lake.
From Diamond Lake, the track climbs steeply on a well-formed track to a viewing platform above the lake. From here there are two options:
- A lower-level circuit that takes in the Lake Wānaka viewpoint, with great views of both the lake and its islands. Sections of the track are steep and often slippery, even in summer. Particularly on the western side of the circuit where there is some light scrambling on a wet, rocky, and muddy trail. Extreme care is required.
- An upper-level circuit that winds its way to the top of 775 m Rocky Mountain. The views from here include the Southern Alps/Kā Tiritiri o te Moana and Mount Aspiring/Tititea.
The Short walk up to Diamond Lake starts off with a climb and then flattens out before we climb the stairs up to the spectacular lookout. From there we take a loop track up to the summit, some sections require a rock scramble before rejoining the track again.
The Diamond lake walk and Rocky Mountain loop map.
What to bring
- Comfortable exercise clothing
- Close-toed shoes, preferably hiking shoes or boots
- Suitable socks
- Day pack with Thermals, windbreaker, and we recommend a woolen hat is carried
What we supply
- A professional, knowledgeable, medically trained, friendly wilderness guide.
- A commitment to make the tour as exciting, challenging, informative, and full as you’d like, and as is possible in a day
- Comfortable transport to and from the hike