WANAKA GUIDED WALKS – ROYS PEAK
This is by far the busiest of the day walks available around Wanaka. It is a very accessible hill from town – just 15mins. The car park is often full so arranging a shuttle is a good idea. Roys Peak is a 16km walk of constant incline through one very large tussock paddock.
There are plenty of places to stop and rest and enjoy the amazing views.
- Distance: 16.3km walk graded Easy to Intermediate
- Duration: 5-6 hours
- Price $XXX
- Optional extras: Trekking poles, day bags
Don’t underestimate the difficulty or the hydration levels required for this especially in Summer when the heat can be extreme, and as always when in the Otago high country it is always possible to experience freezing conditions, particularly around Autumn and Spring. As this walk is on a working farm they shut for lambing from 1 October – 10 November.
This 16km out and back track takes you up the same face, be prepared for 4-6 hours of the same hill face
Starting off in the car park on the side of Wanaka to Glendhu main road you are quickly into your work and one of the steepest sections of the day in the first 2 km.
What to bring
- Comfortable exercise clothing
- Close-toed shoes, preferably hiking shoes or boots
- Suitable socks
- Day pack with Thermals, windbreaker, and we recommend a woolen hat is carried
What we provide
- A professional, knowledgeable, medically trained, friendly wilderness guide.
- A commitment to make the tour as exciting, challenging, informative, and full as you’d like, and as is possible in a day
- Use of trekking poles
- Comfortable transport to and from the hike